Sunday, October 15, 2006

Podcast me a game!

Podcasting revolution revolutionised internet radio, could it do the same to games?

I've been podcasting for a while now, I love the Hotspot (shameless plug for votes, which won't work), i love the buzz report and I love watching On the Spot on my video ipod.

But I'm soon getting a Wii, and ofcourse I own a DS, (beautiful in black).

All those lovely rumors about the Wii downloading demos for my DS automaticly that I might be interested in. This sounds really fantastic, it could quite possibly be new evolution to portable gaming.

I can see it now.

I sign up with nintendo for the weekly demo, and every thursday or something I get a demo which i can download onto my DS. I play that demo on my way to uni and then during my free period or when I'm not needed. When I come home I load my stats (or achivements -you know It makes sence Jeff). This is free. (you hear me nintendo it's free. Or else)

But why should it stop there? What's the next level to this idea? Think about it.... I sign up to a episodic game which adds a new story or level every 2 to 3 weeks. which updates my DS cart. The possiblilities are almost endless..... new puzzles for warioware? New modes for Monkey ball? New patients in truma centre? New Metriod areas? new minds to play in Psychonauts (look at the interview with head of Double Fine)? the list is endless....



But the idea that I could subscribe to get regular updates for a game, good updates give me atleast a month of gameplay for £5 a month or like i don't know a one fee for the year say £39.99 (this is for ALL of my subscriptons eg more than one game). Is this reaonable? I think so.

What makes this different than episodic gameplay, is:

I'm not waiting six months for a new installment, i'm paying for a decent amount of content, it's downloaded automaticly and I'm paying to give good developers the chance to prelong a good franchise.

The important thing is it's downloaded AUTOMATICLY. It's subscribed to like a podcast, and it's for all kinds of games: portable and home consoles. It's for everyone, it's low cost, it's wiicasting.

Basicly I'm NOT paying £5 for horse armor. :evil:


Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home